HISTORY

 

So many years ago, a placed called Maniway was a thick forestland inhabited by non-Christian natives called Subanos, or River people. Maniway venerates the memory of a beautiful village girl who hanged herself for her love, beside the creek. Maniway Creek still exist today running through the heart of the poblacion of Rizal.

History of the town of Rizal has its humble beginning in the little barrio of Tolon, the gateway towards the virgin forestland across Tolon River. The vast forestland spread from Maniway, Napilan, Mapang, Mitimos, Mabungog (Mabuhay), Sipaon, Towayan, Labana and Sacro. Later on, that vast land formed part of the territory of the municipality of Rizal. Tolon is situated along the boundary of Zamboanga and Misamis Occidental. Being the gateway to the vast public land across Tolon River, it was the first land occupied by Christian settlers who blazed the trail to farm new settlement, which became the different barrios of Rizal.

In 1937, Maniway thru the representation in the Council of Dapitan became a full pledged barrio and its name was changed to 'New Tolon'.

In 1950, a petition addressed to the then President Elpidio Quirino pleading for the creation of a town to be named Rizal in honor of our National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal. New Tolon (Maniway) was the seat of the government and to comprise the barrios of Mapang, Mabuhay, Sipaon, Tolon, Napilan, Nangcaan, Birayan, Nasipang, Sebaca, Nangca, Marapong Diot, San Roque, Balatakan, Towayon, Narok, Sacro, New Carcar, Bombongan, Singaran, Labana and Salwagan. This petition was strongly endorsed by former Governor Sirapio Datoc of the province of Zamboanga.

On December 21, 1950, the president issued an Executive Order No. 385, creating the municipality of Rizal. The boundaries are as follows:

 

On the North by the limit of the Municipal Waters the municipality shall have, pursuant to section 2321 of the Revised Administrative Code; on the east by Zamboanga Misamis Occidental provincial boundary; on the south by the boundary of Dapitan and Dipolog; on the west by a straight line starting from M. B. M. No. 3 located at the intersection of longitude 123 30 E and latitude 8 25 N established by survey party No. 17-B of the Bureau of Lands running 4 15 E to Calubi Point at the intersection of longitude 123 31 E and latitude 8 38 N.